Some first thoughts about the implications of Microsoft taking over Yahoo:
- Microsoft’s Vista Gadgets suck. Yahoo has it going pretty well with its widgets that work on many platforms other than Vista.
Maybe Microsoft will drop Gadgets and support widgets natively?
- Yahoo Messenger is already integrated with Microsoft’s messenger. And its .NET and has a cool new WPF interface. Maybe it can replace buggy Microsoft Messenger.
- Synergy in Live Services:
- Microsoft Popfly and Yahoo Pipes (Popfly has things to learn from Pipes)
- Yahoo’s small business services + Office Live (and CRM live, etc.)
- Online gaming. Microsoft has its gaming studios and Xbox Live! and Yahoo is big on fantasy sports. There’s room for synergy there…
Yahoo’s online games could be a nice addition to Microsoft’s casual gaming platform.
- Yahoo Finance to join Microsoft Live Services and take on Google Finance?
Lots of synergy opportunities out there… I can see why Microsoft+Yahoo makes perfect sense…
- None Found