I’ve been trying to find a decent source control system to use for some time now without real success.
I used to have only one machine, with Visual SourceSafe and everything was great. Today, when working on personal projects I have about 3-4 machines I use (Home, Laptop, Work, Parents home) and managing the files on all these machines is becoming unconformable.
Currently I use a Visual SourceSafe database on my main machine (home) and I sync the files between the computers using FolderShare. I don’t like this because:
- All the machines except the main one work in disconnected mode
- I can only check-in\check-out files on my main machine at home so usually I just do the following (which is bad):
- Check-out everything on my main machine.
- Work on my other machines.
- Wait for everything to sync back to the main machine.
- Check-in everything.
- I can’t manage changes this way…
- Using FolderShare is risky – A corrupt file in one machine will sync to all the rest.
- Visual SourceSafe web access is crap! I’ve spent hours trying to get this thing to work…
So, I’m currently looking for a new system to hold my files. A system that could:
- Manage versions, changes, branches and everything else a modern source control system supports.
- Accessible via http.
- Integrates with Visual Studio.
Visual Studio Team System is perfect for my needs but I’ll probably have to mortgage everything I own just to get it working so the last requirement is – it has to be cheap.
So, any suggestions? Which source control system are you using for your personal projects?